Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Being a History Teacher


I always enjoy attending the Queensland History Teachers Association state conference. It is an extremely enjoyable time, not just because of the food :) To hear the voices of like-minded people refreshes me and reminds me of why I love what I do. I feel truly blessed to have found a job which I am passionate about. History provides so much to explore. Students must develop an understanding of history and the skills required to evaluate events from the past. 

That last point is key. Within the new Australian History curriculum which is being introduced in 2013, there is a great emphasis on historical literacy. No longer is history simply about knowing names, dates or locations. Rather, the teaching of history is about empowering learners with the skills they need to interpret the sources from the past and make meaning of them. 

The development of these skills, within students, is my challenge. Not only do I need to provide students with a context in which they can understand the historical period, concepts and relationships, but I also need them to understand the inquiry process. Combining both of these elements effectively within a discussion is the goal. 

It is my desire to ensure all of my students are aware that this is what history is about. Within my teaching pedagogy, I am always looking for ways in which I can engage students with this. In particular, Web 2.0 tools are key for this. I am excited to see how this goal will be achieved within the 21st century environment. 

Image accessed from:

No comments:

Post a Comment